Get through together 10 mins E S
Bring alive the analogy Jesus uses in the passage
You will need: a large back pack, several objects.
- Invite the group to make a ‘tunnel’ by standing in two lines and linking hands with the person opposite, up above their heads.
- One by one, ask the young people to go through the tunnel while wearing the backpack. But each time someone has a turn, add an object for one of the things listed above God/church from the Gather activity.
- Discuss how some of these things might get in the way of our relationship with God.
What’s in your heart? 15 mins E S A
Explore what things we hold in our hearts
You will need: paper, pens; origami instructions.
- Give each young person a piece of paper and ask them to write down things they hold in their heart. It could be God, family, relationships or something that they are passionate about, e.g. climate change.
- Then ask them to follow the instructions and fold the paper into a heart.
Play the track, ‘Holiness’, Sonicflood on SonicFlood, as the young people fold.
Give it to God 5 mins E S A
Examine possible blockages in our relationships with God
You will need: origami hearts from What’s on your heart?
- Ask the young people to pick up the hearts they made earlier.
- Invite them to spend some time in silent prayer, giving over the things written in their hearts to God.
Play the track, ‘Idols’, Kirk Franklin on LONG LIVE LOVE, as they do this.
Check-in: Connecting faith with everyday, real-life issues