Activities marked with an asterisk next to the activity title are in addition to the resources in the Ready-to-go sessions. Suggested timings for these activities are also shown. NB The inclusion of additional activities varies from week to week.
Sing to the tune: Baby shark
Parables: do, do, do, do, do, do.
To teach us…
How to live.
Seeds and vines…
Do your best…
Serve the Lord…
Be a friend…
Grow with God.
Think about the conditions seeds need to grow W E S
You will need: a small pot of soil, seeds, water, a light source.
- Pass around the items to hold, and ask what conditions a seed needs in order to grow well.
- Explain that today’s story is about seeds growing and becoming fruitful, and that God’s values can flourish within us if we create the right conditions
Sow, grow, harvest! 5 mins E
- Ask the group to spread out in your space. Then call out words and show them actions:
- ‘Plough’ – mime digging;
- ‘Sow’ – mime scattering seeds;
- ‘Water’ – mime rain falling;
- ‘Grow’ – crouch down and then jump up;
- ‘Harvest’ – mime pulling up plants from the ground.
- Invite everyone to move around the room and then respond with the correct action when you call out the words. You may wish to catch people ‘out’. Gradually increase the speed!
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
Stretch it out 5 mins W E
You will need: sticky tac.
- Give each young person an equal-sized ball of sticky tac, and two minutes to create the longest line out of the ball. They can stretch it, roll it, etc. Encourage creativity.
- Ask if they can think of examples in their lives of small things that have grown in importance. It might be a hobby, or how they have grown (in ways other than physically).
You could also use the image and following questions to help introduce the theme.
Click on image to view larger version or use the Jump menu to go to This week's images.
- What do you like or dislike about this ‘environment’?
- What helps you to flourish?
- Where do you see God’s kingdom values at work in your community?