Enviable environments 10 mins W E
Create an ideal space in which to grow
You will need: catalogues/magazines; scissors, glue, paper.
- Give out magazines and ask the young people to cut out and stick onto paper, things to create their own designer ‘environment’ which would best help them to flourish.
Play the track ‘You Make Me New’, The Royal Royal on The Return of the King.
- Discuss how our environment – the places where we live and learn – can help us.
Decorate plant pots 10 mins E S
Create a symbol of God’s values growing
You will need: plant pots, soil, seeds, marker pens.
- Together, plant seeds in pots. Talk about what they will grow into and what they need in order to grow.
- Invite everyone to decorate the pots with words and phrases about God’s values that they want to grow in their life.
- Discuss these values of God and ways they can help them flourish in their lives.
Birdsong prayer 5 mins W E S A
Pray for those who need safe environments
You will need: recorded birdsong.
- Discuss how an example of God’s kingdom values is caring for others.
- Play birdsong on a phone/laptop. Ask the young people to close their eyes and think of birds finding shelter in a tree. Then pray for those for whom the right environment is difficult to find: those seeking refuge from war/danger, those needing help with mental health issues, those who are lonely.
Check-in: Connecting faith with everyday, real-life issues