Activities marked with an asterisk next to the activity title are in addition to the resources in the Ready to go sessions. Suggested timings for these activities are also shown. NB The inclusion of additional activities varies from week to week.
Sing to the tune: Hickory, dickory, dock
We have a friend we can trust,
who shows us that faith is a must.
When things get tough, and life feels rough,
walk even closer to God.
Draw a map of the week W E
You will need: pens and paper.
- Ask the children to draw a picture map of their week including school, sports, clubs, days out, time with friends and family.
- Ask the group if there were any times in the week when they had to quickly change what they were doing, or leave things suddenly to go and do something else. Ask: How does it feel when our plans change?
‘Yes’ and ‘No’ 5 mins E
- Ask a volunteer a series of simple questions that would normally have a yes or no answer. Explain that the rules are that they can’t say yes or no, and if they do, they are out.
- Afterwards, discuss how easy it was to respond in this way.
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
Give out invitations 10 mins W E S
You will need: invitation cards with envelopes.
- Prepare invitations for some of the group which read ‘(Name), you have been selected.’ Put these in named envelopes and give them out.
Play the track ‘You Make Me Brave’ (Live) feat. Amanda Cook, Bethel Music on You Make Me Brave.
- Ask the young people to imagine that they have been selected for something special – how do they feel about being singled out and called? Ask the rest of the group how it feels to see others being called.
You could also use the image and following questions
to help introduce the theme.
Click on image to view larger version or use the Jump menu to go to This week's images.
- What is it about Jesus that would make you want to say, ‘yes’?