Living every day as first and last -
Week 2 of 6
Six weeks in which we recognise the urgency of the gospel message, reading Matthew’s uncompromising words as we approach the celebration of Christ the King.
Pressure on Jesus is unrelenting and a lawyer now poses a question about the commandments. Jesus answers this readily and responds with a further question – that no one can answer. Paul acknowledges the suffering of the Thessalonians and responds with words that are tender and gentle.
This week’s reading, Matthew 22.34-46, provides an opportunity to:
- see that Paul’s churches redefine what we mean by family (AAA & CYP)
- wonder and question to increase our understanding (AAA & CYP)
- recognise the centrality of the commandment to love God and neighbour in Jewish and Christian tradition (AAA & CYP)
- consider who Jesus was as the Messiah (AAA & CYP)
- recognise that the sharing of the gospel is an act of love. (AAA & CYP)
Lectionary Bible readings for RCL Proper 25
Leviticus 19.1-2,15-18; Psalm 1; 1 Thessalonians 2.1-8; Matthew 22.34-46