Every week in ROOTS Children & Young People, we include a specially-written version of the Bible reading for children.
We give you a choice of two ways of telling the story each week. The choice can include:
- ideas for simple visual aids or props
- ways for children to interact with the story as it is being read, e.g. through actions, sign language, or role play.
Helping children to grow in Biblical literacy
We're committed to helping children develop greater Biblical literacy - deepening their knowledge and understanding of the Bible.
- Unlike some versions of Gospel stories that are rewritten for children, we ensure that the distinctive voices of the Gospel writers still emerge in the style and tone of the story.
- For the same reason, rather than rephrasing key Biblical terms - e.g. Pharisee, or 'Son of Man' - we include the word or phrase in the story and then provide a clear and simple explanation in a glossary. This helps children to become familiar with the language of the Bible.
Linking the story to children's lives
- Once you've read the story, 'Talk together' points give you conversation starters to use with children - helping them to link the events of the story with their own experience.
View an example of a children's Bible story
Find out more about ROOTS Children & Young People