ROOTS Children & Young People
Each issue of ROOTS Children & Young People magazine provides two months' resources to help leaders explore a weekly Bible reading with their group.
How will ROOTS help your group explore the Bible?
Each week ROOTS provides ways to open the Bible to children and young people, exploring one of the readings from the Revised Common Lectionary and relating it to everyday life.
The biblical focus is shared by the Adult & All Age magazine so that they can work together.
For a free magazine phone 0845 680 5317 or contact us with your postal address and which magazine(s) you want to try.
Flexible resources to suit your situation
The ROOTS resources are adaptable for many situations:
- with a range of ages together or in age-banded groups
- for shorter or longer sessions
- in different locations – a well-equipped room, a vestry, a church hall, a school
- in weekly sessions or with groups who meet less often
- by the same leaders each time or by different people on a rota.
Each week the Children & Young People magazine provides:
- an activity and a prayer to start your session
- a storybook presentation of the Bible reading
- simple starting points for exploring the meaning of the reading with children
- a Bible study for leaders and young people to work through together
- activities, prayers and craftwork related to the reading
- a prayer to close the session.
Download a sample of weekly resources from ROOTS Children & Young People magazine with explanatory notes.
See the sample week without notes.
Each issue the magazine also includes:
- Season setting: an overview of the themes for each week
- Drama, art and craft, and prayer activities for the seasons of the Church year
- Pause for thought: practical guidance on ministry with children and young people.
All ROOTS subscribers also receive access to supporting material on our website
Each week our website features:
- a Children's Sheet with activities to do during or after the session
- a short story exploring the week's themes
- templates for featured craft activities
- additional prayers
- selected texts from the magazine material to print out or adapt
- links to archive content from past years in the ROOTS Resources bank
- PostScript, which links the readings with current events, for adults and young people. (PostScript is also available via the ROOTS home page and Twitter (@ROOTS4Churches))
View a sample 'Week by week' page to see what's available on the website.
Celebrating seasons and festivals
Our huge online library provides an impressive range of ideas and activities to help you mark the seasons of the Church year, festivals and other special Sundays with your group.
To help you plan ahead, we publish a year planner with a list of themes and readings for the lectionary year.
Find out about ROOTS
Subscribe now at the webshop
Back to the ROOTS home page